Wednesday

Colorado - Day3

We woke up nice and refreshed and were ready to set out. We decided to do the world famous Pike's Peak near Colorado Springs. We took directions, maps and were on our way. Stopped at a diner named "Egg and I" for a super-duper healthy breakfast and were on our way to Colorado Springs. We reached there in about an hour and a half.

Went to the visitor center there and set out on our drive atop the Pike's Peak at 14,115 ft. It is the US's easternmost 14000+foot peak. It is the US's highest unpaved road. Little did we know what we were in for :). The Pike's peak is the most visited mountain in the US and the second most visited in the world behind Mount Fuji. It is a 19 mile drive one way to the top, part of the road being paved. It takes around 3-4 hours to complete the 38 mile drive. There is also a Pike's peak cog railway that takes passengers to the top and back - I am sure the train ride is marvelous.




So we started our drive - and it is an experience in itself. Its all good until we reach around 9000ft. The whole journey is at a sharp incline with sharp corners - it is a very narrow road - with no fence, the mountain on one side and a sheer sheer drop on the other. Its a scary ride, as you can't see anything in the front because of the sharp turns, except the clouds and the sky. I thought this was more a literal translation of "Road to the Sun" than yesterday's drive to Longs Peak.



When we reached around 10,000 ft - it started getting really scary. I am not a person that scares easily, have done crazier stuff in my life - but I started freaking out big time. I was yelling, shouting - both mil and me were like lets just turn the car and go back - we do not want to make it to the top. Looking back, I can't help but laugh at the way I was freaking. It was like sitting at the roller coaster, when it slowly approaching the top when you cannot see anything on the ground - and you just see the sky, super super scary. Thankfully Sushant did not heed to me shouting and did take us to the top. I was all shaky when my feet touched terra firma. The views were spectacular from the top - indescribable. The whole drive, the journey was an experience - one of the scariest I have taken, but I can safely say it was worth it.



Once we reached the top, we took quite a few pictures and visited the visitor center there. Spent some time and ate some of their "world's best fudge dipped donuts" - not sure whether they were the best in the world, but they were pretty darn tasty.





The journey back was uneventful and scenic - not as scary as going up. We went to Colorado Springs and ate a hearty lunch at Qdoba gril and ate a delectable ice cream from I don't remember the name of the ice cream store.

The journey back to chicago was another story altogether - we were very late to the airport, we were sure we were going to miss our flight but luckily the flight was delayed and instead of taking off at 7:40 pm it took off at 12:30 am and we reached Chicago at 4:00am.

Another adventure came to an end - it was a great fun trip full of great moments. Looking forward to our next adventure.

No comments: